Gender Equality Essay Ideas
As a female working in a professional environment and living in a society that promotes economic, social and cultural rights I often find myself concerned with gender equality. Sometimes I feel that gender equality is just a myth, because, I have yet to see women promoted or granted the same salaries as their male counterparts in the workplace, or treated equally in society. Gender equality is the measurable equal representation of women and men; however, it does not imply that women and men are the same, but that they have equal value and should be accorded equal treatment. Women desire to live and work in a world where the equal dignity and worth of every individual is respected and valued. Women desire equal pay for equal work. This is one of the areas where gender equality is rarely seen. All too often women are paid less than men for doing the same work. Even though women hold some of the same job titles as men in their field of work, salaries are usually not equal.
Another area of gender equality is suffrage (the right to vote). This area of gender equality does not extend to all the women in the world. Women in Saudi Arabia does not have the right t to vote; in the USA right wing commentators say that women should never have been given the right to vote(IPPF.Org). Other discrimination against women and girls includes gender-based violence, economic discrimination, and reproductive health inequities. A key topic has been women’s rights affording the ability to control their own fertility. This is absolutely fundamental to women’s empowerment and equality. When a woman can plan her family, she can plan the rest of her life. When she is healthy, she can be more productive. And when her reproductive right, which includes the right to decide the number, timing and spacing of her children, and to make decisions regarding reproduction free of discrimination, coercion, or violence.
Despite many international agreements affirming their human rights, women are likely to be poor and illiterate, compared to men. . They usually have less access than men to medical care, property ownership, credit, training and employment. They are far less likely than men to be politically active and far more likely to be victims of domestic violence(UNFPA.Org). It’s also about political will. Until each nation embrace policies to integrate women into leadership like their counterparts, women will not be viewed as equal throughout the world. Therefore, gender equality implies a society in which women and men enjoy the same opportunities, outcomes, rights and obligations in all aspects of life. Gender equality includes sharing equally in the distribution of power, influence, opportunities, financial independence, and access to education and jobs.
A critical aspect of promoting gender equality is the empowerment of women to manage their own lives and personal ambitions. The roles that men and women play in society are not biologically determined — they are socially determined, changing and changeable. Some see them as being justified or required by culture or religion, however, these roles vary widely by locality and change over time(UNFPA.Org).
IPPF.Org (N.D) What is gender equality? Retrieved from
http://ippf.org/our-work/what-we-do/gender/what-gender-equality Zahidi, Saadia(2014, January 22) How women will dominate the workplace BRIC by BRIC Retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/22/opinion/how-women-will-dominate-the-workplace-bric/index.html UNFPA.Org(N.d.) Empowering Women
Gender Inequality Essay Topics
1. Gender and Economics: Gendered Pay
The implications of pay differences among men and women in different industries.
2. Gender and language: Masculinity versus Femininity
A discourse analysis on the masculinity and femininity of certain languages that trigger gender inequality.
3. Gender Inequality in the Society: Theory and Practice
Building a discourse on gender based on different theoretical bases.
4. Battle of the Sexes: Male and Female Dichotomy
This gender essay topic will focus on he competition between male and female in different aspects of the society.
5. Dealing with Patriarchy: Where is Equality?
Defining patriarchy and how it takes away equality.
6. The Feminist Stigma: Why Men are Afraid of Feminism
This gender inequality essay topic will delve deep on the concept of feminism and why it is misunderstood by the society.
7. Feminism and Intersectionality: Why it Matters
The importance of intersectionality in a gender sensitive community.
8. Gender Discrimination: History and Culture
Historicizing patriarchy in the context of culture.
9. Men Over Women: Why Men are Perceived Superior in the Society
Gender roles in the society and the superiority of the male character.
10. Gendered Employment: Men versus Women in the Workplace
Why men are still favored over women in the society.
11. The Rise of Feminist Ideology in Contemporary Society
Explaining feminist ideology in theory in the actual conditions of the society.
12. Gender in Capitalism: Capitalizing on the Gender Struggle
How capitalism uses the issue of the gender struggle in forwarding their capitalistic intentions.
13. The Gender Struggle: The Strife for Equality in the Society
Who affects the gender struggle? Why does equality matter in the society.
14. Race, Gender and Culture: Defeating the Dichotomies
These three aspects of the society are the main reason why discrimination continues to flourish and makes the concept of inequality seem to be far-fetched.
15. The History of the Patriarchy: Tracing the Roots of Gender Inequality
Identifying the roots of patriarchy in the society, putting focus on the male privilege.
16. The Rise of Female Agency: The Role of Feminism in Women’s Rights
Female empowerment and women’s rights as the actualization of women in the society.
17. 1st to 3rd Waves: Feminism over the Years, the Good and the Bad
Explaining the different waves of feminism and laying out the details of the intentions of each wave.
18. Misogyny and Sexism: Why it Continues to Happen in the 21st Century
Laying down the roots of misogyny and sexism in the contemporary society.
19. Misogyny: Internalized Hatred for Women
Identifying misogyny as a trait in individuals triggered by different aspects of society, history and culture.
20. The Value of Women Empowerment in Different Aspects of the Society
Building a discourse on women empowerment and how it helps all women around the world.
21. Beating Oppression: The Implications of Patriarchy in the Society
A showcase of actual implications of patriarchy.
22. Writing About Gender Inequality: History, Culture and Society
A discussion on how to write about issues on inequality; using concepts from history culture and society.
23. The Female Liberation: Women Empowerment throughout the Years
Focusing on the rise of the female agency.
24. The Male Gaze in Media: Objectification of Women in Movies and Television
Why women are objectified through their sexuality in media.
25. Objectifying Women: From Politics to Culture
Why is objectification embedded even in politics and culture.
26. The Female as Male Trophy: Unequal Roles in the Family
Objectifying women often leads to building an image of the woman as a trophy of the man, especially in marriage.
27. Inculcating Gender Equality: The Issue of Gender in Education
How is gender embedded in the educational system.
28. The Gender Spectrum: The Plight of the LGBTQI+ Community
The LGBTQI+ struggle and discourse.
29. Marching for Pride: The LGBTQI+ and Discrimination in the Society
Why is the LGBTQI+ community still not completely accepted in the society.
30. Sexism in Hollywood: Gender Discrimination in Casting, Employment and More
Issues on gender in Hollywood as claimed by famous actresses.
31. Gender and Media: the Sexualization of the Female Identity
Why does the media opt to utilize the sexuality of the female in order to convey a message.
32. Gender and Sexuality: The Female Agency and Empowerment in the Discourse of Sex
Why is there a stigma put on women who choose to be empowered in the context and discourse of sex.
33. Why Female Sexuality is a Threat for Males
Why are men threatened when women embrace their own sexuality.
34. Gender and Sexuality in Popular Culture
How is gender and sexuality conveyed in popular culture which is also a tool of capitalism.
35. Women in Popular Culture
A discussion of popular female icons in popular culture; heroines and fairytale princesses.
36. The Male Gaze
The contribution of the male perspective in the objectification of women especially in movies.
37. The Culture of Discrimination in Gender
This gender essay topic will focus on the implications of discrimination in the marginalized gender.
38. Why Gender Identity is Important
A discussion of gender and its contribution in the formation of identity.
39. Gender Performativity
Performativity as a way to understand the dynamics of Gender according to Judith Butler and other scholars.
40. The Hope For Equality
Gender inequality as only one of the factors in the long term struggle for social equality.