Current Argument Topics For Essays
"Is after-class homework harmful or useful?" That is how a good argumentative paper topic may sound.
Argumentative essay is one more type of college paper. Students might be assigned it as part of their homework or even in-class activity. Argumentative papers exist to check student's English and ability to think critically. Another reason is to see how well students argue on different views and demonstrate knowledge of the studied subject.
GET PROMPT ACADEMIC SOLUTIONS
Have a look at this article to understand teacher's grading rubric better. Find a list of debatable essay topics divided into several different categories below.
Ways to Choose Argumentative Essay Topics
There are a lot of argumentative topics to come up with in the age of political debates, economical movements, and technological progress. Picking the subject is one of the most responsible stages (unless your teacher assigns his own subject to cover). Deciding on your topic is not that easy.
It is recommended to choose rather contradictive topics when writing a critical paper. The reader should be impressed by the way you defend your ideas. It is recommended to avoid argument essay topics on moral issues because they do not support logical discussion. Recent argumentative essay topics which are relevant to society will do.
A debatable paper must contain both analysis and fair criticism of various problems. Make sure each time you want to say something against one's claim, you need solid arguments. Otherwise, your paper won't persuade your teacher. The lack of good support sources will result in a lower grade.
Those who try to obtain their business administration degrees (BBA or MBA) must evaluate and analyze the efficiency of some marketing or HRM tools to discover the most effective approaches. Potential nurses and healthcare experts must check and discuss the efficiency of treatment.
The second thing you should take care of once you decide on the title is to keep in mind five types of argument claims.
Once you select the main subject, start working on the action plan known as academic paper outline. Keep an eye on academic paper formatting while writing.
Follow this link to find out 101 argumentative essay topics or just continue reading.
The Principles of Formatting Academic Papers
While working, mention all applied sources separately. Take notes each time you decide to add a new quote: later, this information will help to create Bibliography list much faster. Keep in mind that proper formatting is 1/3 of your grade! Thus, it is important to read corresponding formatting guide.
In contrast to middle and high school students, college students apply a greater variety of academic writings styles.
- MLA (Modern Language Association)
- APA (American Psychologic Association)
- IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers)
- ACS (American Chemical Society)
APA is often applied to format the argumentative essay. It also depends on the particular college subject. APA is applied in Psychology, Philosophy, and Social Sciences while History students must be well-aware of Harvard format. Theology, Anthropology, and Religious Studies classes involve Turabian/Chicago style. Computer Science researchers apply IEEE referencing style while Chemistry students are into ACS. Teachers assign the necessary format, but keep in mind these tips if they don't.
Before writing your piece, conduct additional research on academic paper formatting. It is better to use templates as they include all necessary formatting elements. Control the margins, font, font's size, indents, and other features in your Word document. Each style is different in two ways. First, in-text citations may be either numerical or author-date style. Second, every style has a unique approach to referencing.
Young writers may try simple online citation generators which are usually free of charge. Add the details on your selected sources to get automatically generated references.
Good Argumentative Essay Topics & Ideas
Have a look at how to come up with an essay topic! It is important to focus only on one subject instead of involving several ideas and make readers confused. Read the advice from educational expert carefully.
"A clear, firm, and debatable thesis is the goal of an argumentative paper. It is impossible to cover several issues at a time as your audience may get lost and lose interest in reading. Besides, any academic paper is limited in length: the more issues your try to cover, the more extra information comes up. I would recommend avoiding argumentative essay topic ideas associated with national/global problems. They usually require more than a few pages. If you choose a broad issue, narrow it down by tossing away details such as descriptions and useless examples.
There are four main characteristics of good argumentative essay topics. They are always CDRM.
C - current
D - debatable
R - researchable
M - manageable
Finally, great argument essay topics are always passionate!"
Tara Christianson, Yale's Literature and Arts Professor
Get acquainted with the list of persuasive paper ideas! Take a look at the list of critical thinking essay topics for students from different areas of expertise. These are the most popular paper titles. Change them according to your requirements.
TRY OUR ONLINE ACADEMIC SERVICES
Argumentative Essay Topics for College
- What should be changed about current taxation system?
- Shakespeare: Was he real?
- Are Project Managers and CEOs paid too much?
- Is college admission getting too sharp?
- Are test scores the most accurate indication of individual competency?
- Military service and the role of gender
- Why are left-handed guitar players more gifted?
- Do all religions have a right to exist?
- What are the causes of the increased number of teenage mothers?
- What happens once we die?
Easy Argumentative Essay Topics
- My favorite music
- Burton's "Ed Wood": Was Depp the best choice?
- Is particular fashion important today?
- Are girls too mean?
- Do human beings cause global climate change?
- Polygamy is natural, so it's not evil
- Can you succeed in life being a philosopher?
- Is art a profession?
- How long a modern film usually takes?
- What is the true meaning of "love"?
Controversial Argumentative Essay Topics
- Is US election process fair?
- Should animals be used in experiments/testing?
- Is the death penalty effective?
- Do religious movements cause war?
- The politics of British government
- Celebrities tend to fail their political careers
- The system is too much corrupted today
- Politics is everywhere and always a "dirty" game
- Clinton could be a better US President
- Positive and negative outcomes of feminism
Social Media Argumentative Essay Topics
- Critical factors of quickly modifying consumer behavior
- Can girls ask boys out first?
- Should cigarettes be sold?
- Is our society a throw-away?
- Should nation market to children?
- What is the best alternative to Twitter?
- Do people really find a job through effective LinkedIn Profile?
- Does government have a right to view private profiles?
- Are popular online activists too shy in real life?
- Is it possible earn good money on YouTube?
Argumentative Essay Topics Technology Students May Choose
- Are cell phones too harmful?
- Are spy applications for mobile phones an invasion of privacy?
- Are modern young people too dependent on computers?
- Is any online lottery fair?
- Is TypeScript a future of front-end development?
- Are modern teens too much reliant on Information Technologies?
- Do we still need cell phones?
- How do people survive in the age of technological explosion?
- Can corporations create chips to control their employees' minds?
- What will our world look like in technological sense in the next century?
Argumentative Essay Topics about Sports
- Are violent video games that dangerous?
- Does participation in sports keep teens out of trouble?
- Is competition the best way to prove your competence?
- Are children changing positively when doing sports?
- Is cheating in sports games out of control?
- What is the most dangerous type of sports?
- Is swimming the only activity which trains every group of muscles?
- Are there any legal alternatives to steroids?
- Does cheerleading fit in games?
- Which type of sports is meant only for the wealthiest?
Argumentative Essay Topics for Middle School
- Should metal music be banned due to the violent lyrics?
- How can children be effectively punished?
- What age is appropriate to start dating?
- Can students evaluate and critique their teachers?
- Should public schools add creationism to their programs?
- Which genre of music may help to study?
- Females prefer romantic movies.
- Is it possible to trace someone online?
- Is it possible to make friends virtually?
- The role of school uniform.
Argumentative Essay Topics for High School
- The educational system in China
- Is homeschooling effective?
- Is the cost of university too high?
- Should the government have a say in our nutrition?
- What are the advantages of attending a single-sex school?
- Can graffiti be viewed as art?
- What type of social activity should be legally punished?
- Is the United States too lenient on Israel?
- Is India a genuine superpower?
- Pros and cons of globalization.
Health Related Argumentative Essay Topics
- Should alcohol usage be restricted legally?
- Government has to provide premium health care?
- Do curfews really keep adolescents out of trouble?
- Supplements used to cure cancer
- Are gay couples under the threat of HIV more than straight pairs?
- Can technological devices cause cancer?
- How much water should we drink per day?
- How do vegetarians survive?
- The risks coming from fast food.
- Going to the hospital versus self-treatment.
Social Argumentative Essay Topics
- Is torture or rape ever acceptable?
- Should sexual maniacs be sentenced to death?
- Can male employees get paternity leave from work?
- Does age matter in relationships?
- Do low prices on condoms prevent teen pregnancy?
- Ways to handle naughty teens
- What is the right punishment for the failed parenting?
- What are the causes of Down's syndrome?
- Is black PR acceptable?
- Can we treat abortion as a crime?
Are you ready to discover one more extra topic? Let it be something universal like "What are the best methods to control modern generation?"
Tips on Writing Powerful Argumentative Essay
Make a candy out of your paper by following expert recommendations!
- Write about different aspects of contemporary life. Do not cover fantastic issues in an argumentative essay as you must sound realistic by providing real-life examples. That's why choosing social media, sports, politics, gender issues, and school/college themes would work.
- Start with a great hook to capture attention. It can be a rhetorical question, literary quote, or else, but it is important not to use more than one hook in your paper. Mind this professional advice when choosing the best hooking sentence.
- There is no need to include a first-person ("I," "we") unless required by instructions. Still, students are encouraged to share their own opinions.
- It is important to read all relevant literature to add ideas that oppose personal opinion. To debate fairly, the evidence must be taken from the credible sources only! Exclude topics that do not have opposing opinions.
- Feel free to create an original topic, but you may also use numerous lists of prepared themes.
- Try to sound unbiased when protecting your point of view. The following elements will support your research:
- clear criteria
- expert feedback
- supportive arguments
- End up your text with a strong call-to-action (CTA). Unlike in marketing, your goal is to sell your article. In other words, make the reader want to discuss the problem even once he's done with reading. Motivate your audience to continue the research.
- Don't forget to refer to this article to recall the best argumentative essay ideas chosen by many successful students throughout the world!
Tired of endless academic writing? Need quick help with formatting? Sometimes you might need some professional help with argumentative essay topics. Don't lose your head trying to master every writing style, academic discipline, and research method trying. Sit down and assume each advantage proposed by the best companies. Discover them thanks to your Google. Remember: students can always count on professional essay writing assistance. Just make an order to check it out!
WE CAN WRITE FOR YOU ANY ACADEMIC TASK!
Seeking professional writing guidance? – This is just the right place!
Get a price quote & proceed with the order!
I like DDLC and Monika is my Waifu 4 weeks ago
I like this
aidan 8 weeks ago
can you add topics about pitching
Virginia Kearney 4 months agofrom United States
Hi Ryan--I'll add some! Good idea! My students are mostly between 18-22, but many students writing argument essays are older.
Ryan 4 months ago
I love your articles, they are really helpful to me.
Virginia, Could you help me think of an argumentative topic about retirement age? I do not know how to write about it!
bill 4 months ago
wow thanks virginia, this really helped me out!!!!
Virginia Kearney 4 months agofrom United States
Hi Stephen-I have several articles that tell you all of the steps you need to know for writing your argument paper. Just look at my profile or look at the articles linked to the side.
Stephen 4 months ago
Ammmm can u tell me how or what to do after I chose a topic like getting info.
I LOVE RESEARCH 4 months ago
wow, quite impressive. keep up the good work!! :)))))))))))
marisol 4 months ago
this really helped me
aziza 4 months ago
I would like to thank you so so much for these great topics.
Shaleeta 6 months ago
This is a great resource. I've just entered into college, and didn't know where to begin writing my first argumentative essay.
Thanks so much - voted up :)
Kennedy 6 months ago
Do you know or have you written of anything to do with the argumentative essay of "should smoking be banned" because I have to do essays with research and I need some reliable sites
Virginia Kearney 6 months agofrom United States
Hi Aashi! I'm glad that younger students are finding my work too. Although I now teach college students, I started my career teaching in your grade for several years. I will have to put together some topics for primary grade students. Until then, you might want to look at my High School Topics, which have many ideas which are good for your age too.
Aashi 6 months ago
I am in primary school in grade 6 and I want some good topics for primary students
Badass 8 months ago
Good job making this page
Thea 8 months ago
I don't know what to do at first. I was clueless and was browsing for answers but none of them made sense except for this. Thank you very much!
love 9 months ago
I think the ideas are wonderful and are very helpful!
Beth 9 months ago
I am a Junior in high school and I have to write an argumentative paper. Your insight on how to do so has been extremely helpful. I wanted to thank you for your intelligence on how to write an argumentative paper.
Ocean 11 months ago
Thanks! This website was very useful for picking out a topic for my essay. Again, thank you for helping me out!
King of Stuff 13 months ago
I find this website very interesting and helpful. Thank you for making it! Your tips on writing essays is really helping me out.
Mr. fluffypants 13 months ago
I love this article. You have helped me with my school essay. Thank you!
letter pile 13 months ago
I LOVE this website!!!! Thank you so much for writing it! It has helped me so much!
Virginia Kearney 14 months agofrom United States
Hi Nataly! You are welcome to shift the focus of the questions to whether governments should take action. My questions and topic ideas are just a starting point. I teach my students that there are a variety of ways to solve problems and one of those is by having governments or larger groups take action. However, I want my students to focus more on how they and their audience can personally take responsibility and action, so often my questions are more locally written. In my class, I focus on having my students address a very particular audience in their persuasive essays because effective arguments come from really thinking carefully about the viewpoint of the other person and developing points that would persuade that person. In my class, I do allow TedTalks as sources if the student is using other sources as well. However, I don't think all professors do accept that type of source. Most people who do TedTalks have written out their arguments in papers or books, so I'd suggest you research to see if there is an online paper you can cite as well.
Nataly 14 months ago
I find your lists great and really appreciate the idea of providing useful links. Still, I would rather shift the focus of some questions so that they ask students to think more globally, from the point of view of the state and the society. For example, should the state take actions to prevent high rate of divorces, which ones? Are people in developed states responsible for providing water and food to the starving people around the globe?, etc. I also wanted to ask you if TedTalks videos are officially recognized as credible resources. Have you ever heard of any cases when professors forbid to use it? Thank you for a good work!
Hulya Gulyurt 15 months ago
This helped me so much with my homework, thank you!
Abdul 15 months ago
Great Efforts ...Well done
kk 15 months ago
i am a kid
vashan 17 months ago
should guns be allowed on school campus
Virginia Kearney 19 months agofrom United States
This is an interesting topic idea bojoi--and definitely one that would be controversial. I'd love to hear how you would develop your thesis.
preetyradd 20 months ago
i think this is cool i got a good grade on my essay thanks
Kanwal asif 20 months ago
Thank u so much God bless u
Virginia Kearney 23 months agofrom United States
Glad this will help you three keys!
Threekeys 23 months agofrom Australia
Im about to try out your suggestions in this great article. Im excited to see what the outcome will be in how I take a more pointed or comprehensive approach in a "written debate" so to speak. Thanks so much!
djazira k 2 years ago
Thank you it is really helpful.
kamila 2 years ago
Thank you so much for the topics
Trisha Roberts 3 years agofrom Rensselaer, New York
Love the great ideas! Absolutely love the list you shared with us. Thank you so much for this Article!
Kalai 3 years agofrom Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Sometimes i find that the most easy or obvious topic the hardest to argue about. The less the words the greater the headache. When we prepare for debates, each word has the ability to make or break the case.
Rae Saylor 4 years agofrom Australia
What an interesting range of ideas and tips! Massive thanks for writing this, pal! Voted up :)
Eiddwen 4 years agofrom Wales
A great hub Victoria ;thanks for sharing and I vote up.
Dianna Mendez 4 years ago
This is very useful to those who must teach essay writing (and to those who must write them). I know I will be using this next time I teach English Comp. Voted up++
ExpectGreatThings 4 years agofrom Illinois
Wow! This is a very impressive list and great instructions. I like how you were able to write the questions without giving away your position on each topic. - Ginger
Eric Dierker 4 years agofrom Spring Valley, CA. U.S.A.
Very interesting. Fun ideas and great food for thought.